Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux

From: Phil de Joux
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:14:46 +1300

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 16:42:24 -0500, graydon hoare <address@hidden> wrote:

Nathan Myers wrote:

It's trivial to design and implement hashes that are a lot more human-compatible, and certain to succeed. There is no conceivable merit to sticking with hex in any case. Even octal or pure alphabetic (e.g. a-q) would be better -- unless the goal is to keep away people who aren't macho enough.

well, I said earlier that I've "been resisting" this, and I meant it. we
talked about it, njs implemented a little prototype demonstrating it,
and I decided I really didn't like it. I really do resist the idea that
a non-numeric quasi-random number is any friendlier than a numeric one.
it's more rememberable, yes. but it's also *weirder*.

I see this thread and think monotone should be split up into parts.

The monotone source control system is cert based. There are branch certs, ancestor certs and informative meta-data certs. Versions here are specified by entire 40 character hex SHA1 codes. Monotone itself should stop here.

In the pdf help file for monotone, in 'Special Topics|Selectors' there are different kinds of 'human friendly' version selectors, abbreviated hex SHA1 codes, username/periods etc. I think that this functionality should *not* be in monotone. This is a higher level user interface service. If people want to use a source control system with incremental version numbers (monotonically incrementing ones at that :-)) then that can be layered on top of montone using informative meta-data certs.

Please split monotone into the core product, ie. call it a library or API whatever, and one or more end user interface applications that use the core product under the hood, eg. a command line tool, a GUI tool for gtk, a winforms GUI tool etc.

-Phil