[Monotone-devel] Re: Branch naming conventions

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Branch naming conventions
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:17:53 +0000

Nathan Myers <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Big-endian naming schemes are, like little-endian ones, extremely
> common.  The point is simply that one is not more "natural" than
> the other.  Enough said.  I quite like the idea of URI notation.
> If colons, and the empty string, are allowed in name components,
> then users may add "mt://" or not, according to their taste.

But anyway, none of this matters does it?  The ordering only matters
currently because monotone serves collections (net.venge.monotone
indicates net.venge.monotone.*), but that's going to be removed.

So all that matters is branch name uniqueness, so one could use
net.venge.monotone or monotone.venge.net or anything else that seemed
convenient.  Some kind of conventions will probably be useful, and
presumably that'll be little-endian (matching domain names).