Re: [Monotone-devel] Branch Naming

From: Matthew A. Nicholson
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Branch Naming
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:10:20 -0600

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:28:04 -0600, "Matthew A.
Nicholson" <address@hidden> said:

mnicholson> What ever became of the branch naming stuff?  Are we just
mnicholson> keeping what we currently have?  Reason I ask is
mnicholson> or or
mnicholson> makes more sence than what we
mnicholson> currently have.  I think I may write a patch that supports
mnicholson> branch names like this, all that would basically be needed
mnicholson> is to convert a name that contains a / into the format we
mnicholson> currently accept, of course this would cause problems
mnicholson> possibly for collection names and such or names like

I think there are other things that have much higher priority for the
moment, so you might want to arm yourself with a bit of patience.
That said, your particular syntax conflicts with the combined selector
syntax (see
Otherwise, I'm not quite sure what stops you from using branches with
your own structure.  If I'm not entirely off, monotone doesn't care
too much about branch syntax, except for a couple of places.  It's
possible that can be circumvented by hacking the expand_selector hook.

I haven't really looked at this, so there's quite a possibility that
I'm talking out of my ass...

Thanks for the info.  I will take a look at it.

Matthew A. Nicholson