Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: How do I find out what "monotone update" plans

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: How do I find out what "monotone update" plans to do?
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 21:40:36 -0700

Bruce Stephens wrote:
I guess I could use "monotone heads" to find a likely revision ID, and
then monotone diff to see the changes.  And interdiff to reverse the
patch (if I understand it correctly, I'll get the patch from the ID to
what's in my working tree, and if I want to know what update is going
to do, I want the other direction).

if you do a diff with two revision id's arranged correctly (current then head) I think the diff should be in the right direction. it's certainly not a particularly nice ui though. monotone-viz is much better for looking at the graph to see what's gone one but a better command line method would certainly also be good.

Seems rather clumsy.  Is there really no suitable way to limit what
"monotone log" outputs?  For example, restricting it to revisions on a
branch seems like an obvious thing to do: indeed, I find it surprising
that specifying --branch=... doesn't seem to do that.  Or allow a
selector, to see all the logs which match?

I was just looking at the darcs manual which describes --patch, --patches, --from-patch, --to-patch etc. which look interesting. certainly logging a selected set of revisions would be good, as would logging everything between a specified pair of revisions, as would logging revisions before or after a particular revision (which is what you seem to be looking for in this case), as would logging forwards and backwards.

on the restrictions branch I used --revision in place of revision id command line arguments that were replaced with file names. perhaps something like --revision/--revisions, and --before/--after which would all accept selectors would be good.

another possibility is to be more explicit and use things like --branch, --date, --author, etc. although these might break down in a case such as --after foo --before bar. commands that require a single revision could presumably fail if they match zero or multiple revisions, while commands such as log could list the details of all matched revisions.

personally, I find myself typing things like 'monotone log | head -n 100' quite often, and also looking for ways to find revisions with certain things in their changelog certs or file specific diffs.

there's also been some talk of various ways to specify certain parents or children of revisions which would be good too.

I was looking at XPath the other day and it almost seems strangely relevant... ;)

Cheers,
Derek