Re: [Monotone-devel] restrictions branch merged

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] restrictions branch merged
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 23:06:13 -0800

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 12:29:52AM -0500, graydon hoare wrote:
> hi,
>
> I've merged derek's net.venge.monotone.restrictions branch. this
> provides, at long last, the facility for doing most operations "per
> file". for example:
>
>   monotone commit <file> ...
>   monotone log <file> ...
>   monotone diff <file> ...

Actually, 'log' still doesn't seem to use the restrictions code; it
takes 1 or 2 arguments, if there are two one is a file, if there's one
it guesses whether it's a file... really it would be much better if
someone made it use restrictions, hint hint to the list ;-).

> in addition, commands run in subdirectories of a working copy work their
> way back up to the "project root" containing MT, prefixing path
> arguments you describe in the subdirectory on the fly. this serves to
> permit restriction to the subdirectory; for example if you are in
> foo/bar/, and you run "monotone diff .", it behaves as though you did:
>
>   (cd ../.. && monotone diff foo/bar)
>
> which is a fair bit more CVS-ish in behavior.

Note, though, that there is a small but critical _difference_ from
CVS: you have to put an explicit '.' there if you want to restrict to
the current subdirectory.  Commands never start behaving differently
just because you changed your working directory.

So the following commands will commit your entire working tree:
  $ monotone commit
  $ cd subdir; monotone commit
and the follow commands will commit just your changes within subdir:
  $ monotone commit subdir
  $ cd subdir; monotone commit .

This is surprising to people coming from CVS, but hopefully everyone
will agree in time that it's better, considering Monotone's
orientation towards whole trees.  (Everyone agree, in a FLOSS project?
Ha, who am I kidding? :-))

Damn the Solar System.  Bad light; planets too distant; pestered with
comets; feeble contrivance; could make a better one myself.
  -- Lord Jeffrey