Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Uhmmm, can't commit????

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Uhmmm, can't commit????
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:16:48 -0700

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
Oh, because checkout declines to read this file now.  That is a bit
annoying; I've even been known to do no-branch branch-based checkout,
i.e. just write
  monotone co ../src2
to get a clean copy of the source tree I'm working on... Derek, any
thoughts?

hmm... not sure really. checkout doesn't do any searching for the MT dir on the assumption that it's going to be creating a new one. at the moment the way the search works it actually changes the working directory internally so that other things can function as they did previously, and as though you had typed a command from the top dir of your working copy.

so if you were in a subdirectory of your working copy and said checkout foo and it did go searching, by the time it actually got around to doing the checkout the process would not be in the directory that it started from.

I'm sure there's lots of different ways to handle this though. the idea of a command like monotone options (similar to monotone attr) for getting and setting them is one. another might be to make sure the target directory has been "absolutified" and then let checkout go searching for options that it might be able to find.

note also that checkout will no longer clobber an existing MT directory, on the assumption that 'rm -rf MT' is quite easy to type, much easier than say, trying to undo whatever a clobbering checkout might do to an existing working copy. this is also probably very debatable behaviour. I had done a bit of work along the lines of careful checkout and update commands on the noclobber branch but things have changed so much since then that it's a lost cause.

Cheers,
Derek