Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone comparison, was Re: change_set.cc:526: inv

From: Christof Petig
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone comparison, was Re: change_set.cc:526: invariant 'I(j != p2.end())' violated
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:09:35 +0100

Nathaniel Smith schrieb:
Would you mind saying a little about why you think that?  People keep
asking me what makes Monotone better than, say, Darcs, or Arch, or
whatever, and while I have some answers, I'm never quite sure what to
say... and I have a pretty different perspective on what's going on
than the average user, anyway.  I'd be curious to hear what other
people perceive to be Monotone's relative strengths (and, for that
matter, weaknesses :-)).

+ You are monotone's greatest strength ;-)

To be honest I would definitely consider switching to a different vcs if
there would be no new revision in the repository for a week or two.
Monotone still has some way to go (but is already well usable) and I
would never dare to shoulder the weight of improving it alone.

+ the sha1/sqlite design has great strengths and is more appealing to a
C/C++ developer than setting up a web server (pun intended)

Once the descriptor (already in .sqlite3) and BLOB changes (still to be
done) have made their way into mainline, the performance penalty of a
database is lost and 'monotone debug' clearly offers more than anyone
could ask for. Storing everything as compressed diffs is also extremely
efficient.

+ monotone-viz impresses everyone within seconds (especially if done on
the heavily branched net.venge.monotone branch) !!!

+ netsync is quite impressive (of course)

+ the command line help is helpful ;-)

+ monotone is minimal-invasive to your source tree ! (only toplevel MT/*)

- most CVS users are used to a merge into tree feature instead of firing
up an 3-way-merge program. Merge into tree is still on my (minor) wish list.

- there are no abbreviated options, yet, IIRC (monotone commit --message
is a lot to type compared to cvs ci -m)

- some operations (netsync) are quite slow [heads _really_ improved in
HEAD !!!]

- a monotone-commits mailing list would be great (though monotone-viz
can fill in this gap) [which mentions all newly imported revisions]

(perhaps more things I forgot to mention)

Diving into CVS sync again
   Christof