Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: invariant 'I(!null_id(id))' violated

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: invariant 'I(!null_id(id))' violated
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 20:03:14 -0800

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 04:40:43PM -0700, Derek Scherger wrote:
> >I'm not sure why we even default to allowing an empty revision file...
> >these days, with 'setup', we can perfectly well say that if you have
> >MT/ but no MT/revision, then the working copy is just corrupt.
>
> I don't think so... 'monotone setup dir' creates a *new* working copy, not
> based on a revision from the database and doesn't create MT/revision.
> trying to update this doesn't make much sense as you point out. perhaps
> update should just say up to date at ... since the working copy isn't
> really associated with any line of development yet?

Oh, umm, right, I think I confused myself; what I meant was that I
don't know why we even allow a nonexistent revision file; obviously it
should be empty after "setup", since the parent of a root revision is
the null revision.

But 'update' should still test for the empty revision, yeah.  And
probably print a message saying what happened, instead of reusing the
"up to date at" message.

"...these, like all words, have single, decontextualized meanings: everyone
knows what each of these words means, everyone knows what constitutes an
instance of each of their referents.  Language is fixed.  Meaning is
certain.  Santa Claus comes down the chimney at midnight on December 24."
  -- The Language War, Robin Lakoff