Re: [Monotone-devel] Multiple projects and future commands

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Multiple projects and future commands
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:33:14 -0800

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 01:09:13PM +0100, Henry Nestler wrote:
[that he wants to be able to serve a wildcard branch, and then
push/pull sub-pieces of it]

You're right, this currently can't be done.  However, it's already on
the TODO list, and the biggest thing blocking it has already been
resolved in the development version.

(The problem is that the algorithm we use to make netsync cheap,
requires that before we start talking both sides have done some
pre-processing and figured out exactly what revisions they have that
they want to include in the netsync.  This pre-processing used to be
really really slow, too slow to do on the fly, so we forced people to
decide ahead of time which collections to pre-process.  Graydon
recently made the pre-processing really fast, so now it'll be possible
to decide on the fly which branches are included -- but this part of
the change hasn't happened yet.)

> Other questions:
> Rename or delete a complete branch in local database?

Not currently possible, at least without SQL-fu.  (Well, you can
delete by copying-everything-except-X using netsync.)  See ongoing
discussion in another thread...

> Delete some older revisions from database, perhaps as copy from old to
> new database? (HOWTO)

You currently can't delete older revisions from a database; we assume
that you have complete history back to the beginning of time.  In the
future I think we will relax this, to allow you to only have complete
history back to some threshold; but this will take some thought and
implementation to make sure we get it right.

> Errorlevel for an incomplete push/pull (no access rights on server)?

Not sure what you mean?

Netsync does have stupid error reporting ATM, in general...  I'd love
for someone to step up and clean this up; it's a nice project for
someone getting into things, and otherwise it's going to be a while
before the core developers get around to focusing on it.

> PS: I'm use monotone version 0.14 since Aug 2004 in www.colinux.org, and
> this works very good. Now it's time to use also in other projects.

Glad you like it!  Thanks a lot, also, for the feedback...

"Lull'd in the countless chambers of the brain,
Our thoughts are link'd by many a hidden chain:
Awake but one, and lo! what myriads rise!
Each stamps its image as the other flies"
  -- Ann Ward Radcliffe, The Mysteries of Udolpho