Re: [Monotone-devel] Ideas and questions.

From: Julio M. Merino Vidal
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Ideas and questions.
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:36:12 +0100

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 07:49 +0100, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:

> Either way, I would *not* suggest a dotted directory (.mt), if we want
> to allow easy porting to other operating systems (I'm dreaming of
> taking on a OpenVMS port some day) which do not use this convention,
> and which might even have trouble with that kind of file name.
> Instead, I'd like to suggest the same solution as was used for emacs
> on Windows, to use an underscore instead of a period, so we'd end up
> with a name like '_mt'.

What about making it customizable by the user?

Currently, in 'pkgsrc' we have the following problem with CVS: we have
a 'devel/cvs' directory in the repository.  This is not a problem for
case-sensitive filesystems, but when you try to get a copy of pkgsrc
from the repository on a case-insensitive one (FAT, HFS, etc.), CVS
aborts operation because 'devel/cvs' clashes with the 'devel/CVS'
metadata directory.

I guess the same could happen here in case someone decides to store a
'mt' file in the top-level directory of the repository.  I can't imagine
who could do it, but it is a possible situation.

In that case, being able to rename 'MT' to whatever else at will (maybe
with a command line option or through a hook) could be useful.

Personally, 'MT', '.mt' and even '_mt' are fine with me as defaults.
But as someone else suggested, why keep it short?  In fact, 'mt' does
not match anything else in monotone, afaict.  I.e., if the binary
command was renamed to 'mt', then those directory names could make
sense.  Otherwise, it's asking for confusion (IMHO).  And I don't see
a problem with using '.monotone' or 'MONOTONE'.

Julio M. Merino Vidal <address@hidden>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/