Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: renaming branches (was Re: Ideas and questions.

From: Dean Kusler
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: renaming branches (was Re: Ideas and questions.)
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:07:27 -0600

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 09:53:29AM +0100, Peter Simons wrote:

In my humble opinion, the ability to rename a branch in the
_local_ database is what is missing at the moment. I've
never needed a global rename; I've needed a local rename
dozens of times though.

Do you mind saying a few words about why?  I got one answer to my
earlier question asking for use cases for this, but I sorta doubt that
you've renamed your company or had a product bought out or whatever
dozens of times :-) And it'd be very helpful in thinking about design
stuff here if I wasn't so much guessing what people actually are
trying to _do_...

-- Nathaniel

I actually asked about branch renaming in the past too. Basically, I'd just started using Monotone and had picked a branch name like "test" to work in. Later, I discovered that in testing out Monotone I had actually written some useful code that I wanted to keep around, but the name "test" was hardly descriptive.

Or, as a removal case, someone creates "test" branch or syncs to net.venge.monotone to play with Monotone and learn how to use it. They then start their real project in the same database that they were using to test, since they already have their public key in it, it's already there, whatever. Later they look at the database and find that "test" branch, or the entirity of the history of monotone, sitting there taking up space and causing potential slowdowns when someone else wants to netsync to their database.

Dean Kusler