Re: [Monotone-devel] CVS import improvements?

From: Christof Petig
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] CVS import improvements?
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 09:42:35 +0100

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
In message <address@hidden> on Wed, 02 Mar 2005 22:59:01 +0100, Christof Petig
<address@hidden> said:

christof> 9b574e9a4a30f369d49953f8c82bc5dc5e72a7fe is now corrected
christof> and briefly tested (testsuite only, no real world usage,
christof> yet) and I would recommend this revision for any evaluation.

I'll happily give it a test if I can.  What would you say I should
expect with projects like OpenSSL (multiple branches, a number of
mergings over time, moving tags (have you thought about that?)), or
GNU emacs?

Since I also maintain some projects with multiple branches I designed
the feature to possibly support them. However I do not need it right
now. It needs some additional logic, a way to specify the branch on the
command line and some enhancements to the CVS client class. (And serious
testing)

Moving tags is a totally different issue. Actually a tag might point to
a manifest which is not identical to any revision present in monotone
(you are free to move a tag within each file freely). And since monotone
does not support anti-certs (hint) I cannot delete a tag once set (only
attach it to a different revision, too).

  Christof

PS: Anybody have any idea about how to efficiently ask for the manifest
corresponding to a specific tag/branch? [e.g. "rlog -r NAME." (note the
dot), but I don't know whether this is possible against a 1.11 server]
PPS: Some commands I use are less bandwidth efficient when combined with
branches (cvs bugs)