[Monotone-devel] Automate commands

From: Jon Bright
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Automate commands
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 19:56:37 +0100

Hi,

I was looking at the possibility of building a GUI for Monotone earlier. First stop: browsing a working directory. I hit upon the difficulty that there's no real way to:

a) List *all* files, together with a status. I can find out the changed/added/deleted files with monotone status. I can find out the unknown files with monotone ls unknown. I can find out the ignored files with monotone ls ignored. But to get an overview of all files, I need to:

  i) List all files in all directories under the working directory root,
     keep a record of these, marking them all initially as "unchanged".
 ii) Run monotone status, marking the added/changed/removed files with
     the "added", "changed", "removed" statuses respectively
iii) Run monotone ls ignored, to find out which of the files are
     ignored, marking those with "ignored" statuses.
 iv) Run monotone ls unknown, mark those files with "unknown" status.

I've got this implemented, it's 40 lines of code or so, but it seems... clumsy. Ideal for my purposes would be to have a command (an automate command, if you want, but I can see users wanting this too) which lists all the files in the current directory (and not its subdirectories), together with a status ("Ignored"/"Changed"/"Added"...). Ideal would also be a from/to hash - but maybe this is more useful for an automate version of the command.

b) Find out which files would be touched if I ran update. Again, I can see this being useful for users, too.

If I implemented commands to do these things, would they be welcomed? (I'd doubtless need some help with the second one, but that's a side issue).

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.