[Monotone-devel] Re: db init

From: Deliverable Mail
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: db init
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:47:01 -0500

I have an old SuSE 7.2, upgraded with tons of sources and stuffed with
a myriad things.  The popt was from there, circa 2001, but I see that
popt source on freshmeat, the first I googled out, is version 1.7 from
2002.  Couldn't find popt on gnome.org right away...  The one I have
in SuSE is version 1.6.  I compiled your patch fine -- although it
didn't auto-patch into monotone-0.17/monotone.cc, I had to manually
insert it (your lines are off, perpaps you're using the most recent
version).  Would installing patch-1.7 help?  Perhaps it thinks I want
to do something else...

 I'm doing several-version g++ compatibility check for my other C++
projects, so I might try other versions of g++.
Question: if I want to compile several versions of boost for different
g++ ones, since using the ABI option is rather new and I don't know
whether that would work -- and it won't with g++ 2.95.3 -- I keep
boost lib<s>.so files for different g++ versions in different subdirs,
e.g. /usr/local/lib/gcc/3.4.3/.  If I set LDFLAGS=-L<that> before
compiling monotone binary, link fails.  I had to hack it into
monotone_LDFLAGS in Makefile.  Why doesn't it use the environment's
LDFLAGS?

Perhaps you could advise on how to layout boost/monotone  for several
different versions of g++?  I was badly burned by .o incompatibilities
and C++ mangling so now I always keep .o's produced by different g++'s
in different object subdirs, like obj/gcc-3.4.3/some.o.

Cheers,
Alexy