Re: [Monotone-devel] Bug: MT 0.16 can't access, if DB stored on NFS

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Bug: MT 0.16 can't access, if DB stored on NFS
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:03:00 -0800

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 09:14:10PM +0100, Henry Nestler wrote:
> All actions on nfs mounted DB give same error. Here I give only a "db
> init". On NFS have normal user read/write access. I'm the only one to
> access the DB file. As work a round I copy DB local, do something and
> copy back to server.
>
> $ monotone --db=nfs-test.db db init
> monotone: discarding debug log
> monotone: fatal: std::runtime_error: sqlite exec error database is locked
> monotone: this is almost certainly a bug in monotone.
> monotone: please send this error message, the output of 'monotone
> --full-version',
> monotone: and a description of what you were doing to
> address@hidden

Huh, strange; the sqlite FAQ does warn that locking may not work
correctly on NFS, but claims that this might allow multiple people to
incorrectly access the database at once, not that no-one will be able
to access the database!

This being some kind of problem at the sqlite level, though... I'm not
sure there's much I can say about it, since 0.17 uses a completely
different version of sqlite.  It would be very useful if you could see
if 0.17 exhibits the same problem.

In the mean time, could you file a bug in our tracker at
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?group=monotone
so it doesn't get forgotten?

"The problem...is that sets have a very limited range of
activities -- they can't carry pianos, for example, nor drink
beer."

This email may be read aloud.