Re: [Monotone-devel] Notify script available

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Notify script available
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 02:23:08 -0800

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 11:18:41PM +0200, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just committed a rough (I mean it, it's not a beauty to read!) first
> version of the change logger I've been thinking about for a while.
> It's in contrib and is called Notify.pl (yes, I hack in Perl...).

Can you explain a bit more what it's exactly doing?  My perl fu has
atrophied, I am afraid...

> The script makes use of database variables, so I hereby claim the
> domain 'notify' for the script to use.  If someone has a better
> suggestion, I'm all ears, but at some point, it will need to be firmed
> up, since people will probably start to use this script.  I certainly
> will, and am thinking of setting up a mailing list for monotone
> changes, as a proof of concept...

What's it using database variables for?

> P.S. and I just noticed the new automate commands that would make my
> script even simpler :-).

In an interesting bit of synchronicity... yes, that's exactly what
they were intended to do :-).

The script I had in mind when adding some of these commands:

#!/bin/sh
# Do a pull, and print out all newly received revisions, in commit
# order
OLD_LEAVES=`monotone --db=foo.db automate leaves`
monotone pull
NEW_LEAVES=`monotone --db=foo.db automate leaves`
(for L in $NEW_LEAVES; do
  monotone --db=foo.db automate ancestry_difference $L $OLD_LEAVES
done) | xargs monotone automate toposort

But:
 -- Still need to make it easier to turn a revision id (as spit out by
    the above) into something to look at (new --depth argument for
    'log'?  'monotone changes <revid>'?)
 -- Need some way to detect new certs -- things like new testresult
    certs, branch certs, etc., can arrive at any time, for
    pre-existing revisions; currently no way to so simply detect them.
    Probably need to buckle down and just add a hook notified of
    what's received in netsync...

When the flush of a new-born sun fell first on Eden's green and gold,
Our father Adam sat under the Tree and scratched with a stick in the mould;
And the first rude sketch that the world had seen was joy to his mighty heart,
Till the Devil whispered behind the leaves, "It's pretty, but is it Art?"
  -- The Conundrum of the Workshops, Rudyard Kipling