Re: [Monotone-devel] Notify script available

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Notify script available
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 23:18:46 -0800

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 02:44:15PM +0200, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> In message <address@hidden> on Fri, 1 Apr 2005 03:01:03 -0800, Nathaniel
> Smith <address@hidden> said:
> njs> Hmm, but presumably if you're running this as a service, it's
> njs> being run repeatedly from a cron job or a 'while sleep; do ...'
> njs> loop or something, and using its own database and everything; by
> njs> the time it has its own database, it doesn't seem like you're
> njs> losing a lot to give it a lookaside table too :-)
>
> I'm sorry, you're confusing me.  Exactly what database are you talking
> about?

Sorry.  What I mean is... AFAIU the main use for this script is in the
context of, I want to get emails when changes arrive, so I write some
code to regularly poll the server and run this script.  By the time I
have a harness to do the polling, a database for this script's use,
etc., we're not saving a lot by using database vars.

If the main use is to be run interactively, then there's kinda a
different problem, in that it's not very friendly for such a thing not
to be idempotent... maybe monotone pull should store the same
information itself...

Eternity is very long, especially towards the end.
  -- Woody Allen