Re: [Monotone-devel] [ANNOUNCE] monotone 0.18

From: Olivier Andrieu
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [ANNOUNCE] monotone 0.18
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:41:26 +0200 (CEST)

 > Olivier Andrieu [Tue, 12 Apr 2005]:
 >  > Bernhard Reiter [Tue, 12 Apr 2005]:
 >  > On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 09:46:59PM -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
 >  > > I am pleased to announce that monotone 0.18 has been released,
 >  >
 >  > Congratulations!
 >  > Keep up the good work!
 >  >
 >  > > This release adds
 >  > [..]
 >  > > performance improvements
 >  >
 >  > LWN reports that Linux started hacking on something called git,
 >  > which might be used to build SCMs. I wonder how much he learned
 >  > from monotone, if monotone developers could learn from his
 >  > approach and what would have had happened if all that kernel
 >  > developers had started to help optimising monotone. ;-)
 >
 > Actually it seems _very_ similar to monotone. It lacks the sql db
 > of course, it stores whole files instead of deltas and there are no
 > certs. And rsync takes care of the network replication. Apart from
 > that it seems to be structured in the same way : files are
 > identified by their content's hash ; tree objects are like
 > monotone's manifest and there is a changeset object to keep track
 > of the history, just like monotone revisions. What a rip-off :)
 >
 > Heh, I bet I could make monotone-viz display a git db with a little
 > hacking.

Indeed, it works quite well :
  http://oandrieu.nerim.net/monotone-viz/Screenshot-git-viz.png

Now, maybe someone should point out on LKML or on the git ML how
similar in architecture git and monotone are. I mean, if some people
like the idea of addressing things by SHA1 hashes, the ancestry graph,
etc. they might as well hack on monotone :)

--
   Olivier