Re: [Monotone-devel] Hash collisions resiliency

From: Jon Bright
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Hash collisions resiliency
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:51:46 +0200

Hi,

address@hidden wrote:

  Should there be a hash collision:

    -- Would I care?

Yes.

    -- If I did care, how would I know that there had been a collision?

Things would start to break. Incorrect files or revisions might be checked out, files or revisions might not be checked in or synchronised. Depends where the collision is.

    -- How would I continue to work with Monotone without changing any
    source files in the collision case?  (Assume that they are immutable
binary files for the sake of the question)

You could consider extending the hash length.

Please understand that I do realise the improbability of a collision.

If you do, then you hopefully also realise that there's not very much point in considering the answers to these questions...

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.