Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone evaluation in commercial project [long]

From: rghetta
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone evaluation in commercial project [long]
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 17:34:22 +0200

Nathaniel Smith wrote:

Sorry.  The trunk really will have a single changeset on it that
summarizes all your changes; but next to it, there'll also be the full
history of how you got there.

Is being able to get at this history really so bad a thing?

*** personal preference area ***
No, it's good, in my private repository. In the official one that micro-history has a cost of size, complexity and perhaps performance. This cost outweights the rare benefits you can get by having a piece of history of a closed development.
*** end personal preference area ***

I must admit that our development branches are usually short-lived (less than two week) and reconciled almost daily with the trunk. Thus, a dev branch is more used to make integration easier than a "recording" tool and the amount of history you lose is small.
Perhaps if we had branches opened for months my view would be different.

When applied to a public project like monotone I'm more inclined to agree with you; peer review is important, and the sooner you get some feedback, the better.

Riccardo