[Monotone-devel] Bad error message when pulling from a bogus hostname

From: Matt Lavin
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Bad error message when pulling from a bogus hostname
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 09:51:42 -0400

Using 0.18, I ran into the following error message:

$ monotone pull
monotone: warning: doing anonymous pull
monotone: net.venge.monotone.cvssync included in collection net.venge.monotone
monotone: connecting to help
monotone: fatal: std::runtime_error: trapped network exception: name
resolution failure for help
monotone:
monotone: this is almost certainly a bug in monotone.
monotone: please send this error message, the output of 'monotone
--full-version',
monotone: and a description of what you were doing to address@hidden
monotone: wrote debugging log to MT/debug

Now, this is almost certainly *not* a bug in monotone, but just a not
so nice error message.  Not being able to look up 'help' as a hostname
should probably just be shown to the user as a nice warning and exit.

I'm not exactly sure how my default-server got set to help, but that
is more likely a user error =).