Re: [Monotone-devel] how to add one RCS file to a MT repository?

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] how to add one RCS file to a MT repository?
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 12:14:54 -0700

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 10:44:21PM -0700, Daniel M. German wrote:
> I found a workaround: I created the directories x/y/z, then placed
> the ,v file in the z directory and used cvs_import x
>
> It worked.

Yes, that is the correct way to do this.

> I suggest the man page and the info file get updated to reflect that
> rcs_import does nothing (I spend several hours today trying to
> understand why it wasn't doing anything :) I appreciate the help, nonetheless.

Thanks for the tip.  Some things were already updated (rcs_import
--help, the command reference in the manual), but I missed the
manpage.  Fixed now.

(To provide some explanatory tidbits, to distract you from your
unfortunate experience ;-): rcs_import just runs the rcs file parsing
and file reconstruction logic, which is not very useful on its own.
It actually does do something -- insert a bunch of files into your
database -- but it doesn't synthesize manifests or revisions to link
those files up to anything. They're just files, sitting there. You
could see them with "cat file <SHA1>", if you really wanted to, but
that's about all they're good for.)

"...All of this suggests that if we wished to find a modern-day model
for British and American speech of the late eighteenth century, we could
probably do no better than Yosemite Sam."