Re: [Monotone-devel] newbie question - SHA1 vs serials

From: Will Newton
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] newbie question - SHA1 vs serials
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 16:35:06 +0100

On Tuesday 19 April 2005 16:28, Timothy Brownawell wrote:

> >  This is why I suggested that the repository be named.  Presumably, the
> > name would be based on domain name, but the real point is that domain
> > names follow hierarchical delegation.
>
> But how is this enforced?

It could be enforced by using some kind of trust network, i.e. I want to share
changes with foo.bar.com who signs with a key k. If you wanted to share
changes with two foo.bar.coms with different keys, then that would be a
problem, but probably not a practical one.

I quite like the idea of being able to look at a revision of a file and be
able to deduce where it came from. I worked on a proprietary database system
that used a similar scheme and it worked quite well.