Re: [Monotone-devel] newbie question - SHA1 vs serials

From: Emile Snyder
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] newbie question - SHA1 vs serials
Date: 20 Apr 2005 14:14:19 -0700

I'm sorry, I don't understand how your answer below relates to
*avoiding* branches.  (It does nicely answer my question of what branch
support you would like in your SCM tool; thanks ;)

Can you clarify at all what sort of support an SCM could give you to let
you have > 128 concurrent developers on one branch all churning a given
file?

thanks,
-emile

On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 12:30, K. Richard Pixley wrote:
> Emile Snyder wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 10:20, K. Richard Pixley wrote:
> >
> > > My point is that currently available tools offer differing levels of
> > > support before solving the problem manually is required.  128 concurrent
> > > developers is only rare because existing tools have maxed out in this
> > > range forcing people to think in terms of solving the problem manually,
> > > (ie, partitioning), much sooner.  Partitioning has a high overhead so
> > > we'd really prefer to avoid it for as long as possible although
> > > partitioning is better than failing to solve the problem.
> > >
> > Could you say a little more about how existing tools support this
> > massively concurrent mode better?  To be concrete, in a previous message
> > you referenced a case where you have ReallyImportantHeader.h that
> > everything depends on and that is churning alot.  I'm probably just
> > lacking in imagination, but if you want all your developers to get code
> > back on mainline quickly (ie. want to avoid partitioning to slightly
> > longer lived branches) how do you get away from spending lots of time
> > merging?  Or do you just want the tool to force you to merge more often?
> >
> I want to be able to determine how many branches exist, who created
> them, who maintains them, what the common usages are, who's using
> which, and typical code churn in each.  I want to be able to determine
> code pedigrees at a glance, merge status at a glance, I want to be
> able to create a sandbox using bits from different branches and I want
> to be able to grep the heads of all branches for particular strings.
>
> How's that for a start?

Q. what do you call an elephant with a machine gun? A. sir.