Re: [Monotone-devel] Thoughts about 'testresult'...

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Thoughts about 'testresult'...
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 16:24:38 -0700

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 04:23:21PM -0700, Emile Snyder wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 15:39, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> > Random idea: adding an "h:" selector, meaning "head", is on the todo
> > list (I think someone was working on it?).  Could make the selector
> > syntax recursive, so h:a:richard means "head of the set of revisions
> > specified by a:richard", i.e., the latest.
> >
> > This is probably a terrible idea, though, because then people will
> > want a way to distinguish between h:(a:richard/b:net.venge.monotone)
> > type parsing and (h:a:richard)/b:net.venge.monotone type parsing.
>
> but don't h:(a:richard/b:net.venge.monotone) and
> (h:a:richard)/b:net.venge.monotone mean the same thing (aren't they all
> getting ANDed together?)

They are, but these are still different -- "heads" is a funny concept,
that's in some sense non-linear.  Suppose we have A -> B, both of
which were written by richard, but only A is on branch
net.venge.monotone.  a:richard/b:net.venge.monotone selects A, and
then h: on this single-element set just returns A.  (h:a:richard)
means the heads of the set {A, B}, which in this case is {B};
meanwhile, b:net.venge.monotone selects {A}, these get intersecting,
and the results is the empty set.

"But suppose I am not willing to claim that.  For in fact pianos
are heavy, and very few persons can carry a piano all by themselves."