Re: [Monotone-devel] [patch]move attributes on rename

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [patch]move attributes on rename
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 00:05:48 -0700

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 03:44:23PM -0400, Joel Reed wrote:
> > Running out the door, so no time to read carefully now, but before I
> > forget, does it do something sensible if the target filename already
> > has some attributes on it?  (Something sensible probably means "don't
> > silently delete them".)
>
> ok, i guess now that we always drop attributes on drop file,
> if there were attributes on the target filename, you would have
> to add them after moving or copying the file, but before monontone rename.
> but why would anyone do that if monotone rename does the right thing anyway?
>
> what do you think? what am i missing?

I don't know how or why anyone would do that, I just think we
shouldn't silently screw up their data if they somehow do :-).  (It's
certainly _possible_ to do, by manually editing .mt-attrs if nothing
else.)

Probably just a N() that there are no current attributes on the given
file name.

When the flush of a new-born sun fell first on Eden's green and gold,
Our father Adam sat under the Tree and scratched with a stick in the mould;
And the first rude sketch that the world had seen was joy to his mighty heart,
Till the Devil whispered behind the leaves, "It's pretty, but is it Art?"
  -- The Conundrum of the Workshops, Rudyard Kipling