Re: [Monotone-devel] Build problems on Solaris x86 2.8

From: Sam Eaton
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Build problems on Solaris x86 2.8
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 13:00:24 +0100

I'll follow up on my own mail, since with the help of #monotone I've
found the problem - thanks guys :)

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 02:02:26AM +0100, Sam Eaton wrote:

> monotone succeeds in doing configure and finds the boost libraries.
> make gives the following error :
>
> ../boost_1_32_0/boost/iterator/iterator_facade.hpp:484: error: expected
> identifier before numeric

The problem turns out to be that iterator_facade.hpp uses 'R1' in its
templates.

On Solaris x86 2.8, /usr/include/ia32/sys/reg.h happens to define R1 as
'EDX' which is defined as '9'.  This random 9 turning up in the
templates causes great confusion to the compiler, hence the errors.

I've fixed it by editing iterator_facade.hpp to use 'RI1' in its macro
defs instead, which seems to solve the problem.

I'll report it to boost, since it's not a monotone problem, it'll turn
up in anything that includes both iterator_facade.hpp and
/usr/include/ia32/sys/reg.h

Thanks,

Sam.
--
"Fortified with Essential Bitterness and Sarcasm"
    Matt Groening, "Binky's Guide to Love".