Re: [Monotone-devel] CLI / path restrictions.

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] CLI / path restrictions.
Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 12:47:56 -0700

On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 08:49:06AM -0600, Derek Scherger wrote:
> > Though I guess the semantics of listing a directory are not totally
> > clear; if I say 'log foo/', and there's a file foo/bar that used to be
> > in some other dir, should the log include edits to foo/bar before it
> > was in this dir?  if there used to be a file called foo/bar but is no
> > longer, should the log include edits to foo/bar when it was in this
> > dir?
>
> part of me thinks we should list the rename but not bother tracing back
> beyond that point. if that is the file you're interested in, you can ask
> for a log from the rename revision using the old name to keep going.

Yeah, having though about it I think it is clear enough, just a little
subtle.  Since it means that "log dir/" and "log `find dir -type f`"
are rather different in effect.

Details are all that matters; God dwells there, and you never get to
see Him if you don't struggle to get them right. -- Stephen Jay Gould