[Monotone-devel] Re: Merges and internal representation

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Merges and internal representation
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 00:16:05 +0100

address@hidden writes:

[...]

> It would be nice to ensure that any changes as a result of codeville
> discussion didn't prejudice the capability to support a type manager
> architecture in the future.

I suspect changes in storage won't happen in the near future, so we'll
be left with the current xdelta-ish storage scheme, which is very good
for reconstructing revisions of files, but doesn't really do anything
else.  Using a different storage to help codeville-style merging would
be an optimisation, I suspect some time in the future.

And in any case, I assume any future storage would continue to allow
precise reconstruction of revisions of files, even if it also allowed
faster merging for some kinds.

> This flexibility would also allow people to experiment with
> different storage and merge methods more easily.

As far as I can tell, that's not precluded by any likely change.