Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone update overwrites local changes

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone update overwrites local changes
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 20:05:03 -0700

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 08:47:56PM -0600, Derek Scherger wrote:
> >>One option is to punt like CVS does and refuse to update unless B/F is
> >>moved away. More useful would be to initiate a two-way-merge between
> >>the repository version and what's already there. The latter is already
> >>done when I do "monotone add B/F" before updating. (A middle-of-the-
> >>road solution would be to punt with a reminder that one can either
> >>move F away or add it to get merging behaviour.)
>
> How about just skip the file and keep going, perhaps with a warning like
> "preserving existing file ...".

This violates "refuse the temptation to guess".

I suggest, check for such files; if they exist, tell the user what's
up and refuse to go on.  Then the user can investigate and take
whatever action they decide is appropriate.  It's easy enough to move
them aside or whatever, if that's what the user wants to do, and it's
not going to shoot anyone in the foot...

The Universe may  /  Be as large as they say
But it wouldn't be missed  /  If it didn't exist.
  -- Piet Hein