[Monotone-devel] [Fwd: never two without three: the %+ specifier]

From: Emile Snyder
Subject: [Monotone-devel] [Fwd: never two without three: the %+ specifier]
Date: 16 May 2005 23:42:49 -0700

-----Forwarded Message-----
From: rghetta <address@hidden>
To: Emile Snyder <address@hidden>
Subject: never two without three:  the %+ specifier
Date: 16 May 2005 17:12:41 +0200

Ahem.
Here comes another patch (I hope you don't get upset by this endless
stream) :)
This patch add a %+ specifier, to handle a multi-column formatting.
Currently you can't alternate format strings to obtain something like
        <fmt rev 1> <fmt rev 2>
        <fmt rev 3> <fmt rev 4>
Instead you must apply the same fmt string to all rev's.  The %+
specifier divides the format string into regions.
The first region is applied to the first rev, the second region to the
second rev, and so on. When the regions terminate, the cycle begins
again.

Consider as an example two commits, one by address@hidden and one
by address@hidden

The format string '%a\n' will give you
        address@hidden
        address@hidden

The format string '%a %a\n' will give you
        address@hidden address@hidden
        address@hidden address@hidden

just repeating the author, where '%a %+ %a\n' gives instead
        address@hidden  address@hidden

The %+ applies only to the main fmt string, I'm considering if and how
apply that to the changeset strings.
What do you think ?

Anyway, here's the changelog:

        *format.cc, format.hh: add the new %+ format specifier
        *monotone.1, monotone.texi: document it

Riccardo

RFC1925: "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is
not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going
to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead."