Re: [Monotone-devel] Projects using monotone?

From: Jean Pierre LeJacq
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Projects using monotone?
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 19:18:04 +0200

Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 06:57 +0200, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:

I have been thinking of finally moving some of my CVS-managed projects
to monotone.  For one of them, I was asked what other projects are
using monotone, as some kind of "proof of maturity" (I know, it's not
regarded as mature enough for production according to some.  I don't
entirely agree).

So, I'd like to know, what other projects are using monotone?  And
don't restrict yourself to free software projects.

We're using monotone to develop software based on cocoon (http://cocoon.apache.org/) and lenya (http://lenya.apache.org). We manually sychronize with the SVN repositories the two projects use. Both are fairly large projects. Our observations:

* monotone is quite slow on certain operations. Committing a change to the cocoon branch can take 5 min on a beefy server.

* We've had problems with merging though this is much improved. We sometimes have to merge by hand.

* Developing decent SCM policies based on the monotone approach takes some time if your team is used to something like CVS. For example, what constitutes a good component model for monotone? In CVS we used modules. We're experimenting with branches in monotone for this but still aren't sure if it we have the best approach.

* Not having monotone integrated into an IDE turns many developers off. Many of our developers like the Eclipse CVS integration and find it painfully to have to use a CLI like monotone.

In the end we're using it mainly because it shows so much promise. Its still rough going sometimes.

--
JP