[Monotone-devel] newbie questions (best practices)

From: Nathan Cournia
Subject: [Monotone-devel] newbie questions (best practices)
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 15:54:10 -0400

Hi,

I've just started to use monotone and have some questions.

1.  Should I maintain each project I'm working on in a seperate .db file?

2.  If I do keep each project in a seperate .db, how do I share my
work with my co-workers?  Do I run `monotone serve myhost:port
com.work.myproject` for each .db where, "port" is a unique number?  Is
there a way to have multiple .db's running on the same port?

I just sync'd my database with a friend.  I then updated my working
copy.  When running `monotone update`, monotone popped up `meld` to do
a 3 way merge.  I accidently, closed `meld` before doing the merge.
As a result, it looks as if I've lost the changes I had made to my
working copy.

3. Is there a way to get back the changes I made to my working copy?

4. If I had committed my working copy before sync'ing, what would have
happened?  Would I have been presented with the 3 way merge during the
sync command?

5. If I had committed my working copy before updating, but after
syncing, what would have happened?  Would have been presented with the
3 way merge during the commit command?

6. Is there a general rule to follow when committing/updating/syncing,
i.e. always commit before doing a sync or update?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

nathan