[Monotone-devel] Re: Switching to monotone from CVS

From: Robert Bihlmeyer
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Switching to monotone from CVS
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 10:53:05 +0200

Mark Hagger <address@hidden> writes:

> I've been looking quite hard at various SCM's with a view to switching
> from CVS.  CVS is slowly, but surely, becoming less and less fitting for
> our needs.
> [...] how stable/reliable is monotone?

You didn't write what these needs are exactly. I've found subversion
to be a nice and stable replacements for CVS, fixing most of its
problems while keeping the centralised model. Commandline and GUI
clients for Windows exist.

That said, if you need distributed development, monotone seems to be
one of the better candidates. I've seen it abort, but it usually does
in a safe and easy-to-debug way (defensive programming).

I don't know of any large projects betting on it, though. Actually, I
haven't heard of reference projects for the other free, distributed
SCMs (well, except git, but that's really not stable in the other
sense of the word).

--
Robbe