Re: [Monotone-devel] patch: external diff support

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] patch: external diff support
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 20:27:24 -0600

Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:
> This patch adds an "xdiff" command, which calls an external_diff_hook,
> giving it the path, old data, new data, and a flag whether the data is
> binary or not (so that someone could, in theory, write a custom diff
> tool for binary data.. e.g. an image diff or something similar).  The
> patch also adds printing the file IDs in the built-in diff output, for
> picky tools that expect there to be something after the filename in a
> diff header (bugzilla, for example).

seems reasonable to me... I think I'd personally prefer both cdiff and
xdiff as options to the standard diff command though. i.e.

monotone diff --context
monotone diff --external

also, that explicit throw oops should probably be I(false, ...);

and while we're on the topic of diff, one option that would be really
helpful, if anyone is looking for a smallish task, would be to add
something like the -bw options of diff(1). i.e. diff but ignore
whitespace (so perhaps diff --whitespace ?).  I'm not really sure why
diff has two options to represent this, one to ignore all whitespace
diffs seems like it should be fine?

Cheers,
Derek