[Monotone-devel] Re: [cdv-devel] Precise cdv-merge algorithm overview

From: Antony Trupe
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: [cdv-devel] Precise cdv-merge algorithm overview
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 21:30:37 -0400

On 6/8/05, Bram Cohen <address@hidden> wrote:
Antony Trupe wrote:

> Hello all,
> I have applied for Google's Summer of
> Code<http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html> to
> do one of Monotone's suggested
> projects<http://venge.net/monotone/summer-of-code.html>,
> specifically [a]n interactive merge tool that uses the new "precise
> codeville-merge" algorithm. What I'm looking for is a basic rundown of the
> merge algorithm, which files have the algorithm, et.c. I have never coded
> with Python before, so it's a little hard to follow at parts.

Great!

What's really needed is for the tool to use precise codeville merge. I'm
half done with an implementation of precise codeville merge. I've posted
about it to the revctrl mailing list a few times, you should probably
start by reading those posts -

http://lists.zooko.com/pipermail/revctrl/

There are some details of how precise codeville merge will work which I'm
still not sure of, but they won't fundamentally affect how the tool will
work, so it's completely reasonable to implement a version based on a
reasonable approximation of what codeville-merge will finally look like,
which we can get written today (er, maybe tomorrow, it kinda depends on my
own personal free time and how quickly you absorb the concepts involved).

-Bram

Clarifications/Questions:
-Would I be writing a tool to use an existing implementation of the merge algorithm, or writing a tool that itself implements the algorithm?
-You planned on writing today or tomorrow the spec for the algorithm, or the spec for the tool I would be working on?
-Who is the mentor for this project?
-If I am not accepted, my contribution time would be significantly reduced, as I would have to make money doing something else.