Re: [Monotone-devel] push: performace problem of the client

From: Zbynek Winkler
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] push: performace problem of the client
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:14:40 +0200

Nathaniel Smith wrote:

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 04:32:56PM +0200, Zbynek Winkler wrote:
Hello,

as a first step for testing monotone on a larger project I've imported the current version (no history) of our website robotika.cz. The initial commit took a while because it's about 50MB (that was to be expected). But when trying to push, the estimated bitrate is somewhere about 50kB/s (and seems to slow down to 20kB/s as it progresses) even though my uplink to the server can easily get up to 5MB/s. The CPU of the client is running 100% while the server is mostly idle.

What is so CPU intensive on sending the data out? When reading about the netsync protocol and merkle trees I got the feeling it should be very efficient...
Do you have any individual very large files?
Not really. I doubt there is any one file over 0.5MB. But there are quite a few around 100kB (jpegs).

There are some known
inefficiencies in how we handle our network buffering that get really
triggered by large files... (There's a patch waiting to be merged that
should help.)
Ok, I'll try it.

Zbynek

--
http://zw.matfyz.cz/     http://robotika.cz/
Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic