[Monotone-devel] Vendor branch tricks & SVN mirroring

From: Eric Kidd
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Vendor branch tricks & SVN mirroring
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 18:24:58 -0400

I wanted to emulate CVS's vendor branch functionality by locally
mirroring a SVN repository.

Here's what I did, assuming my project is named 'project' and the
vendor is named 'bar':

  $ monotone -d my.db -b com.foo.project.vendor.bar setup project-bar
  $ cd project-bar
  $ svn co http://svn.bar.com/trunk/ bar  # Make local copy of bar in
subdirectory
  $ monotone add `monotone ls unknown`
  $ monotone commit
  $ monotone propagate com.foo.project.vendor.bar com.foo.project

To update to the latest upstream version, presumably all I need to do
is something like:

  $ (cd bar; svn up)
  $ monotone add `monotone ls unknown`
  $ monotone rm `monotone ls missing`
  $ monotone commit
  $ monotone propagate com.foo.project.vendor.bar com.foo.project

Since monotone doesn't handle directory moves as gracefully as it
could, this strategy only works if the 'bar' directory appears in the
same place in both the vendor branch and the head branch.

Cheers,
Eric