Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone build failure

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone build failure
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 00:04:55 -0700

On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 08:27:50PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 03:31:45PM -0600, Ryan Hinton wrote:
> > Excellent guess! I grabbed a GNU Make package, and fired up
> > immediately--and I hit a compile error probably due to my old GCC.
> > Thanks for the quick and accurate replies. I will look for a newer GCC
> > package.
>
> If it only works with GNU Make, what's the point in incurring the cost
> of using automake?  It'd be much better to have GNU makefiles.

Automake does many things besides create portable makefiles.  (In
fact, I'm not even sure whether that's a goal of automake or not.)

Besides, we're lazy, and what we have now works and we know how to
make it do what we want.  (This tends to be the most important feature
of build systems, AFAIK...)

Details are all that matters; God dwells there, and you never get to
see Him if you don't struggle to get them right. -- Stephen Jay Gould