Re: [Monotone-devel] One person in many places

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] One person in many places
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 23:33:13 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:10:28 -0700, Shaun Jackman
<address@hidden> said:

sjackman> I'm using monotone at work -- which I'm very happy with btw
sjackman> -- and plan on starting to do some work at home. I'll set up
sjackman> a monotone server at work, but my real question is... what
sjackman> key and keyid I should use at home?
sjackman>
sjackman> Can I use the same keyid both at work and at home?

If it's the exact same key, yes (you can export a key pair with
'monotone pubkey' and 'monotone privkey' and read in the result into
another database with 'monotone read').

sjackman> Can I use the same private key both at work and at home?

Yes.

sjackman> What's the typical solution?

It's really a matter of personal preference and how much you trust
your local environment.  If it was me, I would do address@hidden
for work and address@hidden for working from my home machine.

sjackman> My initial inclination was to generate a different private
sjackman> key at home, but to use the same keyid, namely
sjackman> address@hidden Would two different keys with the same
sjackman> keyid confuse matters?

It would definitely confuse matters.  It would create a clash, because
each keyid represents one unique key, period.
(personally, I wouldn't have made monotone depend on the keyid, but
hey, I'm not the original author)

Cheers,
Richard

-----