Re: [Monotone-devel] Keyword substitution?

From: Hendrik Boom
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Keyword substitution?
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:09:32 -0400

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 06:22:33PM +0200, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> In message <address@hidden> on Wed, 27 Jul 2005 08:58:42 -0700, "Todd A.
> Jacobs" <address@hidden> said:
>
> nospam> Sure there is: exported files. Not everything people keep in
> nospam> VCS is source code. Web pages, shell scripts, and man pages
> nospam> are some examples that come to mind where having some sort of
> nospam> version information embedded in the file itself would be very
> nospam> useful, and where an external "version file" would not be a
> nospam> reliable mechanism.
>
> Hmm, OK, I do see your point.  Doesn't mean I like it, though...
>
> And oh, repeat after me: "revision", not "version".

Perhaps a revision number could be inserted (if desired)
when a revision is checked in, thather than when it is exported?
That way the external version will be identical to the one in
the database?

Or maybe it could be inserted when the file is exported from
monotone to elsewhere, if desired.  And at the same time create
that revision -- with the externally known revision number -- into
the monotone data base, possibly marked as an exported version?

-- hendrik