Re: [Monotone-devel] Keyword substitution?

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Keyword substitution?
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 19:29:05 -0600

Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> Say you have revision foo of file bar, only you don't *know* what
> revision it is; more importantly, it's not the head revision.
>
> How do you figure out what revision it is within a given repository?

do you mean "how do you figure out what revision a given file version
exists in?" if so, then yes some sort of search command might be useful,
but recognize that a given file version may exist in many revisions.
perhaps the revision that the particular version of the file first
appeared would be the interesting one.

> If it's *your* repository, and your file, maybe there could be a

there's really no concept of "which repository a file comes from." if
you and I have version b632c7b9bda8e2df8b392b3606d554398e6ddb97 of some
file, then it is assumed that we have the *same* file. your repository
and my repository are just database files that happen to contain that
revision.

> function to search for a matching hash, so that you could determine that
> file bar is actually revision foo from your repository. *That* would
> certainly be useful.
>
> It would, however, also require you to have access to a repository with
> full history and an exact copy of that specific ancestor, which is (as I
> understand it) not an absolute guarantee in a widely-distributed
> monotone network.
>
> And of course, without keywords, you can't identify the file at all
> unless you are tracking the source yourself, so monotone-managed files
> such as FAQ files, web pages, and others would be impossible to identify
> without manual modifications. :)

depends a bit on what you mean by identification. 'sha1sum file' gives
you what monotone would use to identify the file, but probably isn't all
that helpful. presumably the revision the file appeared in, along with
the author and date would be more interesting.

hope that helps?

Cheers,
Derek