Re: [Monotone-devel] quick poll

From: Ethan Blanton
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] quick poll
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 23:49:15 -0500

(Pardon if this was already concluded in-channel or elsewhere, I have
been on vacation.)

Nathaniel Smith spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Should it be possible to commit with an empty changelog, if someone
> really wants to?  Like, if they actually pass '-m ""' on the command
> line or whatever.

Most definitely.  Remember that version control systems are not used
only to store source code with logical changes which can be summarized
in comments.  In my experience version control systems are used with
some frequency for automated tasks for which meaningful commit
messages would be difficult or impossible to generate.

As you mentioned, -m "foo" could be used in these cases; however, I
feel that a primary purpose of tools is to shut up and get out of my
way.  I feel the same way about a default hook forbidding empty log
messages.  If I want to forbid empty log messages, I'll write a hook
to enforce that policy...

(The bottom line is that an automated tool is never* going to be able
to enforce "good" commit messages ... it's amazing how much work
people will put into not doing their work right.  Only competent
commit message authors can ensure truly good commit messages.)

Ethan

* AI notwithstanding.

determined to commit crimes.