Re: [Monotone-devel] Renaming branches and tags

From: Matthew A. Nicholson
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Renaming branches and tags
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 18:55:43 -0500

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 07:47:14PM -0300, Juan Jose Comellas wrote:

Is it possible to rename an already created branch? And what about a tag?
I want to change the naming I've been using for branches and I haven't seen any easy way to do this besides recreating everything from scratch.

There isn't.  It's a frequently requested feature, so there may be
some day, but it's a complex problem when you have a distributed
system...

One option is to just issue new branch certs and ignore the old ones.
Something like
  for REV in `monotone automate select b:OLDBRANCH`; do
    monotone cert $REV branch NEWBRANCH
  done

After you've done this, you can also throw out the old certs, if you
want, with 'db kill_branch_certs_locally'.  As the name suggests,
though, this might not be very effective if you've shared your db with
other people, because the old certs can come back the next time you
sync.  The old certs won't hurt anything, though.

-- Nathaniel

for REV in `monotone automate select b:OLDBRANCH`; do
   yes PASSWORD | monotone cert $REV branch NEWBRANCH
done

That should keep you from having to enter the password for each cert (not tested).

--
Matthew A. Nicholson
Digium