Re: [Monotone-devel] resend : i18n

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] resend : i18n
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:51:48 -0700

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 04:57:40PM +0200, Zbynek Winkler wrote:
> Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> >Current policy (the best one I could come up with):
> > F() marks strings that should be translated
> >For strings that should be translated and involve plurals, use:
> > FP("%i doorbell", "%i doorbells", count) % count
> >
> This does not work for some languages. For example in czech we have
> 1 "zvonek"
> 2, 3 and 4 "zvonky"
> 5 and more "zvonk??"

That's okay; you aren't forced to translate those two strings, those
are just the English fallbacks; you can write 3 translations in the
language file (with associated tresholds):
  http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_chapter/gettext_10.html#SEC150

(Now, AFAIK this is the _only_ case where gettext has stuff to deal
with the edge cases that arise in language translation, but they _do_
worry about this one case.)

The Universe may  /  Be as large as they say
But it wouldn't be missed  /  If it didn't exist.
  -- Piet Hein