[Monotone-devel] continued problems

From: Howard Spindel
Subject: [Monotone-devel] continued problems
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 18:49:43 -0700

I've been corresponding with Matthew Gregan about some continued problems I've been having with monotone, but enough new stuff has come to light that I thought a post to the group as a whole might stir some useful thoughts.

My system is WinXP. One person database, no remote syncing, all I'm doing is using monotone to track historical changes to my one person project.

monotone diff fails with regularity with an addressing error. The problem is much worse with monotone 0.22 than it was with 0.20. The addressing error is strictly repeatable - it either works or it doesn't always for a given pair comparison.

I tried moving the database to a Win2K machine (a creaky old laptop), and diffs don't crash there.

monotone db check reports that the database has no errors.

monotone log --diffs works fine, so it's presumably not a problem with the diff comparison program.

I also tried monotone db dump followed by a monotone db load. monotone db load won't work for me - it starts spitting out lots of errors. My command line is:

monotone db load --db=newDatabase.db < dumpfile

From the looks of the errors, monotone is seeing data lines in the dumpfile as SQL commands, as if redirecting input to monotone isn't working right.

I'm running out of ideas of things to test to try and isolate this more. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Howard