Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] Revision c6569e455defc

From: ml-monotone
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] Revision c6569e455defcd6b0d889edcff0bb0fe6180a376
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 08:46:25 +0200 (CEST)

On 31 Aug, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 07:09:12AM +0200, Richard Levitte - VMS
> Whacker wrote:

(...)

>> that affects me.  As far as I can tell, 'setup' is there to create
>> new projects, while (in my opinion) import should import a new

I see "setup" for preparing the mentioned directory to be setup to
work with Monotone. But perhaps that's just me ...

>> snapshot of something to a potentially existing branch, taking into
>> account things like files that have disappeared since last snapshot
>> (and should therefore be dropped).  See contrib/monotone-import.pl.
>
> Hmm, my knowledge of "cvs import" (and I'm guessing I'm not alone
> here?) is that "cvs import is for creating new projects". :-)

At the end I probably totally miss the point, but I hink, you both are
right. In CVS an import is used to get not-revision-controlled parts
into a CVS projekt onto the so-called vendor branch.

If it happens that module/project that is currently imported is not
avail at CVSROOT, it will be created and imported to the vendor branch
(that is, where Nathaniel is right). If it was already created or
imported, every further import goes onto the vendor branch as new
version. This takes changes like file additions and deletions into
account (this would be where Richard is right).

To make this changes effective on main branch however, one has to
merge explicitly with the vendor branch AFAIR.

>> njs> In paricular, the problem is that people keep thinking that if
>> njs> they want to start working on an existing project, they should
>> do njs> "setup; checkout".
>>
>> Huh???  Why do people think they should setup for an existing
>> project? I'm a bit baffled here.  And I'm a bit baffled that I
>> haven't heard of similar problems with other SCMs with similar
>> functionality...

Although I can see, why people may think to do it this way, I only
ever used "setup" if initially checkin a new projekt (i.e. if followed
by an "add" at once). Initial checkout I regulary do via the normal
"checkout" command (i.e. w/o initial "setup"). I never got the idea to
1st "setup" followed by a 2nd "checkout". But okay, everybody has its
scheme to work ... or "there is more than one way to skin a cat" :-)

Just my 0.02 Euro.

Ciao,
Clemens.

--
Clemens Hintze  mailto: c.hintze (at) gmx.net