Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Proposal for human readable revision IDs

From: Thomas Haas
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Proposal for human readable revision IDs
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 22:21:01 +0200

Bruce Stephens wrote:
> Thomas Haas <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [...]
>

>>... the hook shall be available for all identifiers, not only revisions
>

> Why?  How often do you use manifest ids, or file ids?  (Maybe it would
> be useful if "monotone cat manifest" (or whatever it's called now)
> could take a revision selector as an argument, given that a revision
> specifies a manifest?)

Unfortunatly quite often, as I have to access old revisions files. The
only reasonable way to do that seems to be to go from the revisions
(monotone cat revision), to the manifest (monotone cat manifest) and
than to the file (monotone cat file). Quite horrible.

>>-- and, preferably, the abbreviated id should be stored in the database.
>

> Isn't that an implementation detail?  If you wanted the ids to be
> stable then storing them in the database would be one way of doing
> it; and it might be more efficient to do that.  However, I wouldn't
> rule out the possibility that a dynamic approach would have acceptable
> performance.

Fine with me. The aliases or abbrevations must not necessaryl be stored
in the database.

Regards
- tom