Re: [Monotone-devel] "monotone cat file" not binary save?

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] "monotone cat file" not binary save?
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 12:42:15 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Wed, 7 Sep 2005 11:21:10 -0400, Hendrik Boom
<address@hidden> said:

hendrik> I believe you mean LF instead of NL.

Yes.

hendrik> Historical note:
[...]
hendrik> It was Unix, and C, I believe, that started the perversion of
hendrik> using LF to mean CR-LF.  The relevant standard of the time
hendrik> specified that so simplify keyboarding, input routines could
hendrik> interpret a single keystroke as CR-LF.  But it was the more
hendrik> natural CR that was to be the single keystroke, not LF.

It wasn't really C per se, it was the terminal driver that would
output CRLF to the terminal whenever it saw a LF.

hendrik> There *has* been a NextLine character defined in the course
hendrik> of time, but I've never seen it used.  It's 0x85, Unicode
hendrik> u0085, and it's name is Next Line, abbreviated NEL.

There's some history behind that.  Common Lisp has a concept of a
virtual New Line character that's used as an internal representation
of the local end-of-line character sequence.

Cheers,
Richard

-----

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/