Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Certificates for files

From: Jon Bright
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Certificates for files
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:10:00 +0200

Bruce Stephens wrote:

But I'd have though that's OK: almost all of the cases I can think of
for commenting on a file would be in the context of the rest of the
tree anyway.  For example, that README has been checked, and is
suitable for the release.  For that kind of case, I can imagine you'd
want some shortcuts, so you could fix INSTALL, but keep README as
being approved, but you could have scripts and things to do that.

I can think of a couple of cases where the information's file based. Stuff like "has been reviewed for classified information", or "has been reviewed for third-party source" when doing an open release of a previously proprietary product. Say you're porting your latest and greatest product to some new version of the language/compiler/whatever that you're using, you could also do some kind of "Java1.5ified" cert, letting you gradually work through your source tree and use the version control to keep track of which files you've done and which not.

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.